Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Boat

A few weeks ago, a friend from church offered us a pretty unique opportunity. Her husband is the Commanding Officer of the USS Bonhomme Richard, and he organized a friends & family day cruise aboard the Navy ship. We GLADLY accepted, picked up some motion sickness medication for James, and looked forward to it for days. Finally, the day arrived.
We heard that there would be reserved parking for us at the Navy base. Imagine our surprise when we saw our name on a cone in the very front row!
As soon as we set foot on the ship our friend (the Captain!) ordered one of his sailors to take us up to the wardroom. We were not sure what a wardroom was, but we followed willingly, and turns out it was the officer's dining room! They had an amazing spread, eggs & omelettes cooked to order, fruit, coffee... the works. One look at Capri's face and you can tell she had to get up early (4:30am!).
After breakfast, we were taken to the Captain's Quarters. No big deal. Just sitting on his bed, getting comfy!
I got a kick out of the signs posted around the ship. Like this one. Sure glad someone knows what that means.
And this one... Be very aware of this!

Us out on the flight deck.
Deborah & I, she's the Captain's wife.
James & JD with the Coronado bridge behind them. The boat fit right under it.
Playing with imaginary guns!
Cruising through the channel.
Watching the helicopters land & take off.

Two future Navy captains testing out the Captain's chair.


In the Captain's chair, with the Captain.

Getting shot by a fire extinguisher....
Denice, Deborah & I with Downtown San Diego in the background.
Back under the Coronado Bridge with an armed Sailor.

It was a great day out to sea, and no one got sick. We explored around the ship, ate great food, spent time with new friends, and got treated like VIP's. A once in a lifetime experience.

3 comments:

  1. It really was...I am so glad you guys got to do this. The kids look adorable, and that pic of Capri eating breakfast is hilarious. JD looks soo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I loved seeing all the pictures and Capri cracks me up. That is great that Deborah and her husband invited you all. I was just getting to know her when we moved. Love your blog. Can't wait for more! Jenn B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see that you are back! Blogging is hard to keep up with, but I feel the same way you do about it! Looks like a fun time, loved the commentary!

    ReplyDelete